January 29th, 6:00pm – Join host Mike Ridaught and co-host Marty Pallman along with special guests: Gainesville Wrestling. Coach Ryland Wagner, Matt Tamayo, Marcellus Boyd, Thomas Herlevich and Wade Jones will be on the show. We’ll also release the new boys’ basketball Prep Zone Power Poll, recap our Sonic Player-of-the-Game from last week and recognize our first Trophy Shop Athlete-of-the-Week presented by Mark McGriff’s State Farm Insurance of Gainesville for 2013.
Gainesville Wrestling (Guests):
- Ryland Wagner, Head Coach Gainesville High School
- 132lbs – Matt Tamayo, Jr: Record 39-6 with 16pins. City Champion and second wrestler since 2x State Champion Nick Davis to have over 100 Takedowns in a season. Ranked #7 in the state.
- 138lbs – Marcellus Boyd, Jr: Record 22-6 with 22-6 with 7 pins. Ranked #7 in the state.
- 145lbs – Thomas Herlevich, Sr: Record 31-9 with 16 pins. Holds the school record for Single Season and Career Nearfalls. Ranked #7 in the State. 4.3 GPA
- 170lbs – Wade Jones, Sr: Record 33-10 with 26 pins. Team leader in pins. Ranked #12 in the State
Team Facts/Stats (Under Current Coaching):
- 8x City Champion
- 4x District Runner-up
- 4x District Champion
- 1x Regional Runner-up
- 4x Regional Champions
- 2006 State Runner-up
- 6 top 10 State Finishes – 2004 (5th), 2005 (6th), 2006 (2nd), 2007 (4th), 2008 (4th), 2009 (8th)
- Coached 5 State Champions and 22 state place winners
- Dual Meet Record: 215 – 67 – 1
District Tournament to be held Saturday February 2nd at Eastside High School. Wrestling begins at 10am and will run straight through with the finals occurring sometime around 2pm. Come out and support wrestling in Alachua County. Participating teams are: Gainesville, Gainesville Eastside, Palatka, Ocala West Port, Ocala Vanguard, Lake Weir and Belleview.
Trophy Shop Athlete-of-the-Week Presented by Mark McGriff’s State Farm Insurance of Gainesville for the week of January 21
- Arric Wali of the Santa Fe (Alachua) boys’ soccer team. Wali scored two goals to help lead the Raiders to a 4-0 win over PK Yonge (Gainesville) in the 5-2A boys’ soccer semifinals. In the district championship, the junior forced a couple of turnovers, added a goal and had the game-winning assist in a 2-1 win over top-seeded Keystone Heights. It was the second consecutive district title for the Raiders (16-3-3).