Prep Zone Power Poll – 2012 Football #5
Fletcher kicked a field goal with less than thirty seconds left to win at then-#18 Sandalwood 23-21 in the Senators 8A-1 district opener. Fletcher blew a 20-0 lead before rallying on the final drive and drove down for the winning field goal. That win earned Fletcher another first place vote, giving the Senators five of the seven first place votes and widening the lead a bit over #2 Gainesville.
Gainesville (4-0) received the other two first place votes this week and stayed #2 after an easy 44-22 win over Lake Weir. Gainesville led 31-0 at the half and sat most of the starters in the second half as the Purple Hurricanes cruised to victory in it’s district opener.
Madison County remained number 3 after an easy 42-7 road win over Taylor County (Perry). First Coast (Jacksonville) stayed fourth with a 42-6 win at Ribault (Jacksonville), and South Sumter (Bushnell) had another easy win this week and moved up to number five.
The biggest mover this week was Fleming Island (Orange Park), who moved up from 12th to 7th after a huge 33-28 win over Bolles (Jacksonville). Bolles (3-1) fell from a tie to fourth out of the top ten to #11, a rare sighting for the Bulldogs outside the top ten. Union County (Lake Butler) moved up to ninth after a tough district win against previously undefeated Chiefland 12-6. Trenton rolled up another easy win, 53-6 over Bell, and stays number ten this week.
Bolles leads off the second ten, followed by the Bulldogs district rival Raines (Jacksonville) at #12. New Smyrna Beach stays undefeated and ranked 13th this week. Ridgeview (Orange Park) rolled past Orange Park 41-27 to improve to 4-0 and moved up four spots to 15th this week. The Panthers will host #20 Bishop Kenny (Jacksonville) this Friday night. Bishop Kenny moved back into the poll after a 32-0 district opening win at Paxon last week.
Warner Christian (South Daytona) dropped it’s first game of the season to Cocoa and made the biggest drop in the poll this week, falling from 9th all the way to 18th. Crystal River (3-0) makes it’s debut in the power poll this season at #19.
The Prep Zone Power Poll ranks the top 20 high school football, basketball and baseball teams (regardless of classification) across 26 counties in north Florida (Alachua, Baker, Bradford, Citrus, Clay, Columbia, Dixie, Duval, Flagler, Gilchrist, Hamilton, Hernando, Jefferson, Lafayette, Lake, Levy, Marion, Nassau, Putnam, Sumter, St. Johns, Suwannee, Taylor, Union & Volusia counties). It is voted on weekly by sportswriters and sportscasters.
PREP ZONE POWER POLL – WEEK #5
(School, followed by first-place votes, classification, overall record and total voting points)
1. Fletcher (Neptune Beach) (5) (8A) (4-0) – 138
2. Gainesville (2) (6A) (4-0) – 131
3. Madison County (3A) (4-0) – 128
4. First Coast (Jacksonville) (7A) (4-0) – 118
5. South Sumter (Bushnell) (4A) (4-0) – 111
6. St. Augustine (6A) (4-0) – 100
7. Fleming Island (Orange Park) (7A) (4-0) – 95
8. Columbia (Lake City) (6A) (3-1) – 79
9. Union County (Lake Butler) (1A) (4-0) – 77
10. Trenton (1A) (4-0) – 74
11. Bolles (Jacksonville) (4A) (3-1) – 71
12. Raines (Jacksonville) (4A) (4-0) – 69
13. New Smyrna Beach (6A) (4-0) – 52
14. Mainland (Daytona Beach) (6A) (2-1) – 43
15. Ridgeview (Orange Park) (6A) (4-0) – 42
16. Trinity Christian (Jacksonville) (3A) (2-1) – 38
17. Bartram Trail (St. Johns) (6A) (3-1) – 37
18. Warner Christian (South Daytona) (2A) (3-1) – 20
19. Crystal River (5A) (3-0) – 17
20. Bishop Kenny (Jacksonville) (5A) (3-1) – 11
Also receiving votes – Yulee (4A) (2-1) – 8; University Christian (2A) (4-0) – 7; Sandalwood (Jacksonville) (8A) (2-2) – 2; Chiefland (1A) (3-1) – 2.